Monday, November 14, 2011

Here's What I'm Thinking....

“We Plan, God Laughs”


“Life is what happens while you’re busy making other plans”


“Don’t make plans, just planned to be surprised”


Between the books about birthing, and the medical professionals I’ve spoken with. Not to mention plain ol’ life experience, I’ve learned that making plans can often backfire on you. After all, I assumed that by the age of 32, I’d be pregnant with my second kid. At least that was my plan four years ago. 


This post is going to be about my “birth plan”, but I don’t want to call it that. Because even my super mellow, very open minded Midwife cringes at the concept of a birth plan. Her reason being that a small percentage of births are ever actually “text book”.  I’ve heard other doctors say they are concerned with patients having Birth Plans because if things go off course, the patient can get very nervous, agitated or even disillusioned. 


Which is another reason I love my Bradley Method classes. It’s not just about natural childbirth. It’s about being informed. They talk to about epidurals and C-Sections, and they are not viewed as failures, it’s just what happens sometimes. The important thing is that you’re educated on what your options are.


So here’s what I’m thinking I’d like from the hospital staff during the birth of our child, if circumstances remain ideal: 


(I'll be giving this letter to my midwife for my chart, and bringing several copies to the hospital on the big day.)


Hello! We are Melissa and Brian G, impending parents to a wonderful baby whom we don't know the sex of yet (and would love to keep it that way until the birth, please!) We spent over four years trying to get to this point, so this baby is very long awaited. We are practicing the Bradley Method and barring any unforeseen complications, hope to have as little intervention as possible. 


During Labor we would appreciate:
  • No visitors (not even Mom's) :)
  • Lights and voices kept low
  • Minimal Staff interruptions
  • A nurse who is open to or experienced with natural birthing
  • No IV if possible.
  • No pain scale questions or offering of pain medications
  • Minimal Internal exams
  • Please do not rupture membranes (break my water)
  • No Episiotomy - Perineal Massage is preferred
  • Freedom to move. i.e. walk, shower, use birthing ball, and laboring bar
Delivery: 
  • Minimal coached pushing: we are hoping to use a method to breathe the baby out
  • Skin to Skin time: Please place the baby directly on to the mothers chest or abdomen and leave to breastfeed and bond with the parents for at least the first 30 minutes. 
    • Please delay cleaning, weighing or measuring
  • Refrain from clamping or cutting the umbilical cord until it has stopped pulsing
    • Father would like to cut the cord when the time comes
  • Allow up to an hour before the placenta is delivered. No Pitocin if possible. 


A good portion of my labor will be spent meditating and focusing inward on myself and my body. Letting it do what it needs to do. I’ve been working on meditation for a few years now and hope to use the techniques I’ve learned to help me get through the most difficult parts of labor. Brian will be there to help and support me emotionally and physically. By giving massages, walking with me, helping me balance while squatting either on the birthing ball, or laboring bar, or in his arms, and offering encouragement and praise as I progress. He will also make sure that I am drinking reasonable amounts of water, and snacking as necessary to maintain my strength. 

I know the snacking thing is controversial. Our Bradley teacher advises snacks that are very easily digested, because your body will require so much energy elsewhere. So apple sauce, soup broth, a banana, juices – great, now I want apple sauce- you get the picture. This will mostly be done at home, and the plan is to labor there as long as possible. My understanding on the whole reason hospitals won’t let you eat:  in case they have to put you under general anesthetic. Which is rare during child birth, they mostly use epidurals. And it’s really just a precaution to prevent other complications. From having full intestines during surgery, or in case the GA makes you nauseous and you throw up and aspirate while on the table... And various other unpleasantries.  The truth is, they have other measures to combat this – what if you’re in a car accident on your way back from a pie eating contest and they have to stop your internal bleeding? They’re not going to wait 12 hours for your system to clear out, right? So yes, it’s safe to snack during labor, maybe just skip the meatball sub. 

Brian and I have also asked our friend Teresa to be in the room with us acting as a Doula. She will be there to support and advocate for both Brian and I. Aside from being a very dear friend, her qualifications include: Three completely natural, uncomplicated births. The last one being at home (yes, on purpose). We think she will be a very good asset for the outcome we desire, and we’re so glad she accepted. 

If any of you have a similar birth plan (Hi Josey! Hi foxy!), and see something I forgot, feel free to mention it in a comment. If you think I’m ridiculous for not wanting an epidural and would like to remind me “there’s no points for pain”,  feel free to kiss BOTH SIDES of my ass.

9 comments:

Geochick said...

*giggle*you. Love your last sentence! I hope you are able to follow your plan.

Jos said...

Hahahaha. Love this!

What so many people don't get is that the whole attitude of fear regarding birth and that it has to be such a scary, painful experience is often what CAUSES a lot of their pain and/or complications.

Yes, I say that as someone who has not yet given birth, but I also say that as someone who has talked to a LOT of women who HAVE given birth naturally who had wonderful experiences.

Anywho, I think it's a great plan. Being educated about your options and birth preferences is NOT a bad thing - especially when you know that bottom line is a healthy Mommy and Baby, but unless there are some extenuating circumstances, that does NOT have to happen in an uncomfortably loud, bright, intervention-filled environment.

The only thing I'd think about adding is a post-birth section (if you have preferences regarding delivery of the placenta, cutting of the cord, or newborn procedures that are generally routinely done to newborns). It's a personal decision of course. :)

For us, I have no desire to pump baby's first vaccination (HepB) in at delivery for an STD that I don't have and my non-sexually active baby sure as hell doesn't have. (though I am pro-vaccinations, just on a delayed schedule).

There are SO much options and thing to think about - and that doesn't make you needy or demanding - it makes you INFORMED and you know you're doing what fells best for you and for your baby so that you hopefully come out of this experience with the least amount of regrets and the most amount of joy possible.

I can't wait to see how both of our birth experiences progress!!!

Anonymous said...

My plan was very similar to yours, unfortunately, I ended up being induced at 38 weeks on the money because of pre-eclampsia and ultimately delivered via c-section under general anesthetic (after laboring 23 hours with no pain meds!). I do not say that to scare you! But, to let you know that even if everything goes exactly the opposite of your plan, it'll still be awesome as long as you stay flexible. I truly hope you get your planned birth, though :)

Lisa said...

I hope all goes according to your hopes and plans. Love you, M!

mommylynn said...

Hi, I just had to comment and say go you! I am normally a reader and not a commenter. I don't have IF but a teenage daughter with endometriosis...four daughters in fact all together and I read all kinds of blogs. Anyways. My first birth 19 years ago, my husband and I were pretty inexperienced...there was Lamaze and epidurals were 'all the rage' and I just never heard of planning anything and signed up for the epidural with no intention of 'natural' anything. Well, long story short...the a**hat who administers the epidural didn't bother mentioning ANYTHING about what to expect or feel...so when I started feeling pressure and said so that it hurt...instead of informing or checking...he just kept hitting that pump. I ended up completely numb legs included so when the dr tells this 21 year old first timer to push I was like ugh! How?! I couldn't feel a thing (again a**hats) three hours later,a vacuum,and the darn nurses jumping on top of me out comes my daughter (along with a 4th degree episiotomy and a blue baby who I didn't get to see till the next day..) well, fast forward two miscarriages and four years later I was blessed to deliver my second daughter. However I was determined to avoid ALL pain medication as I was scared to death to go through what happened before...and darn it..I just wanted to know what it felt like...all of it! My business! So...no birth plans still then...but the nurses kept asking me over and over if I wanted pain meds and getting irritated because I said no over and over NO NO NO!!! Sorry if you don't like my noises or decisions! Don't make me feel like crap and that I'm some kind of idiot...there was no issue with me or my baby...these nurses just didn't agree. Well TOO BAD! I delivered my way and yelled all the way through (just me) but I was able to accomplish what at that time was very important to me. I think most women who make a birth plan have thought things through and realize that if health is endangered than of course things change...maybe you decide to veer from your birth plan SO WHAT! It's your experience. When I chose to birth without pain medication I did it for me...for my own very personal reasons...not so I could get some non-existent badge...I think it's great to have a plan. Nothing wrong with it. We plan for lots of things...you plan your wedding outside but it rains...doesn't mean you can't plan. Srry just had to let it rip and tell you not to worry!
You'll do what you want/need as its time. Good for you!

Jamie said...

Good for you for knowing what you want and planning to share it with the medical team. It is good to communicate your preferences and they should be respected. I think it is smart of you to think of it like a "plan" in knowing that it can change--whether that is coming from you and your experiences along the way during labor or for medical reasons.

I also think I need to take your starting quotes and post them on my wall. Those are good for a lot of situations in life and the reminder is helpful.

Good luck, Lady!

Pam said...

Good luck with your birth plan, I didn't know I needed one when when I, (we) birthed our first child. December 9, 1981 - it was at a small hospital, I was the only one in labor and had all the attention of everyone there. We had gone through Lamaze and I was going to be using a birthing chair, didn't want pain medicine and had severe back labor....my doctor suggested just some "light" pain medicine so I agreed and it only slowed down my progress... however, from the time my water broke at 12:30 am on December 9 (his due date!) to his birth at 9:10 a.m. it wasn't too bad. My mother just mentioned the other day how I was wheeled into the delivery room in a wheel chair and brought out in a wheel chair, carrying our 7' 6" baby boy, like I had just gone in and picked him out, made it look so easy. Actually it wasn't easy, the doctor ended up having to use forceps to help deliver him, but all came out well and my husband did cut the cord as he did with all three and actually delivering the 3rd with the doctor by his side. I don't know why I started writing this....I guess because things have changed so much and yet again there are only a couple of ways to have a baby! The experience is awesome and I pray everything goes exactly as planned for you. This is the first I have read your blog, I think I will mark it so I can find out how it goes.....A friend in East Texas, Pam

PS - we are expecting our first grand child in February and I can't wait!

Happily Married said...

As a nurse that works in L&D, your "plan" looks pretty good. And knowing that you're flexible if circumstances change is most important. Two things I'd suggest:

1) Put the fact that you don't know the sex of the baby in *CAPS* and also again at the end of the plan so if the nurse is piecing through it, it's not easily missed and you won't be informed inadvertently.

2) Your plan is pretty well thought out but the staff will have questions as to what you'd prefer for baby treatment after the birth and when you arrive at the hospital (and hopefully ready to push that little one right out) you won't want to answer them then so I'd add a "Our Baby Post-Delivery Preferences" section to address the decisions on feeding (including desires on supplementation due to breastfeeding difficulties - not that they'll happen but just to be fore-thinking on the topic), Hep B vaccination, Erythromycin ointment to the eyes, PKU (or neonatal test as some hospitals call it) test, hearing screen, rooming in desires, and last but not least, the timing of the initial bath (and what baby wash to use...I refused to let the J&J poison touch my kids' skin so we brought our own and I asked to be allowed to give them their first bath in the room under a warmer to have that bonding time).

Best of luck to you on your impending birth. I'm so excited for you & Brian!!!!

The Swann's said...

Hi! Just stumbled across your blog and giggled at this post. The last sentence to be exact. :-) Hubby and I read and practiced Bradley Birth Method throughout our SURPRISE pregnancy after 4+ years TTC. I LOVED my delivery! No epidural. We too didn't know the sex of the baby and all the nurses were SO excited that most came back just to see what we got! So much fun!!!

I brought bottles of SmartWater and was encouraged to drink throughout labor and delivery which was amazing! I did have a saline iv started "in case" but was not hooked up to anything which was wonderful. I was not hungry during labor or delivery but was asked repeatedly if I wanted anything by the nursing staff.

Having a supportive spouse was so wonderful for me! We established very early on that all questions through him as he knew my wishes so I only concentrated on getting baby out! It was only when I was a stalled 9.5 cm that the nurse came to me asking if they could finally break my water with the hopes of getting that "lip" to disappear and get baby out.

We delayed everything until after that magic hour bonding while she nursed and snuggled into mommy's chest all nice and warm and cozy. Next time I will be adamant on not using J&J (she broke out horribly!) and that hubby or myself get to give the first bath though I honestly didn't feel like getting up as I was so lightheaded with low blood pressure.

I know you will have a fantastic birth and will check back to hear how it all goes!! Wishing you all the best!!