Saturday, June 22, 2013

18 Months

Dearest Leah,

Okay, so I blew it for your 17month post. That won't be my last mistake. I guarantee it. But I can tell you that I will always come through when it really counts. Like for your 18 month post! Suddenly it's starting to really occur to me that you are becoming less and less my baby every day. I can't remember the last time we were anywhere and caught eyes with another mom who was pointing out "the baby" to her child. And you're just becoming so dang independent! And aware of your surrounding and just how much control is potentially at your tiny fingertips. It's breathtaking. I never want to forget what I've witnessed in your presence for the last 18 months. So here is a list of highlights. Of things I just want to hold on to forever.




  • Finding your toys, shoes, and random household items in the hampers. (You love fill and spill - AND putting your dirty clothes away)
  • The way you toss and turn around 10pm every night, and make a loud gravelly hmmmuwahwahwah sound as you suck your thumb to lull yourself back to sleep.
  • That right now. I have everything I've ever dreamed of. Meaning you and your DA!.
  • How when you're drinking your sippy of milk before a nap, you tip your head back and look me in the eyes. Usually its to smile or giggle, but sometimes it seems like you just want me to know that you know, I'm there.
  • The way you mumble and babble while you eat.



  • How you despise having your diaper changed so I make up silly songs to distract you until we're done.
  • Every time my phone rings, you automatically ask DA!???
  • Waiting and watching for the garbage trucks on Friday mornings.
  • How well you hear airplanes and love looking at them from the porch. (We're about 10 miles from SFO)




  • Your deep belly laugh while animals move past you. Dogs, cats, whatever.
  • The way you bounce on the seat cushions of the couch, beaming with pride.
  • How Billy Joel and Jack Johnson make you dance... You twirl. I have no idea where you got that from. It's HILARIOUS.
  • The way you grab Molly's snout and try to give her a kiss with your mouth wide open. You do the same on her back and her tail. 
  • Oh yeah, we got a dog! More to come on that...




  • Your stinky butt. How that much smell comes out of such a tiny butt is beyond me.
  • How you always find the corners of your blankets to hold on to while you suck your thumb.
  • Waking up to your babbling.
  • The waft of your smell that comes through when I open your door to get you up for the day. God I love that.
  • When we get you out of the tub, you immediately put your head on our shoulder and stare off into space. Like you're suddenly aware of how safe and loved you are in that moment.
 
( You love you some new bath mat!)
  • The way you kick your legs in your carseat with sheer glee when you realize where we are - the park, DA's office, etc.
  • Emptying a lint trap full of pink glittery lint.
  •  Taking walks after dinner. DA! pulling you in your red wagon, me walking Molly.

I could go on like this for hours, but these are just the top things I love. So for the rest I'll say, I'm just looking forward to your next birthday, hearing you talk more (it'll be nice when you can tell me what you need or want or are upset about!) And well everything else. Seriously, everything...

Oh, and what you're up to now! We had your 18 month check up yesterday, you are 25 lbs, and 33 1/2 inches. You have several words: Mama, DA!, Ba (sippy cup), Nigh Nigh, Yeah, Whoa, Nom Nom (which means you're hungry or thirsty), Ca (cat), lolla (which is Molly our dog), and Bayee (baby). And you are just SO busy. Always moving something from over there, to over here. Filling up containers with items, dumping them out... You're just so freaking amazing, and we love you to pieces!



Can't wait to see what the next month brings! 

Love, 
Momma
 

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Stinky butt and glittery lint! LOVE IT! :)

Ann said...

Love seeing this little snapshot in time. Of course, she is adorable, but I don't need to tell you that. We're coming up just behind you at 16-months so it's nice to see what might be in store. ;)