For I am my own driving force, and adversely, my own filibuster.
Where am I going with this you ask? Well, right after the seminar I was all gung-ho to get this IVF partay started, but the crappy test results and impending financial burdens really knocked me down, and I immediately started to run the other direction. Cause I'm mature like that. Running away is always the answer - something I am totally going to teach my kids. When I have them - oh wait...
So you know those tests I have to go back for? The ones I complained about like two weeks ago? Well I sort of knew about them two weeks before that. And I've sort of been avoiding them. I know, my ninja like dawdling skills are mind-boggling, yes? Fortunately the grown up in me started to remember how crappy it is to have to scramble to get my shit in order, following a procrastination bender such as this. And also how much I'd like to avoid being committed to a county facility, cause Ima' 'bout to loose my shit if I don't get on the road to parenthood right quick. Plus I would be incredibly disappointed if my cycle got pushed back just cause I was being a douchebag.
So here's my list of shit to do:
- Get Brian's blood work requests over to his GP so that he can order them under something other than infertility in the hopes that the miserable bastards at our insurance company will cover them.
- Get my bill of clean health from my GP, and letter stating that my last Pap was clear.
- Get the Tuberculosis test.
- Get the other blood tests for the gene mutations I can't pronounce let alone spell.
- Call to process my application for free IVF meds.
While we're on the subject, an update on the miserable bastards at the insurance company front. The initial statement I received for the denial of claims on my blood panel was evidently only a portion of the blood tests. The immunology stuff was sent to a lab in Chicago and submitted at a later date. So I received a separate letter from the miserable bastards stating THE ALLOWED CLAIMS. Out of the $1,400+ dollars worth of testing for the immunology, I am responsible for $89.00. HOLEE-CRAP-THEY-BOUGHT-IT. Annnnnnnnnd, I called about the other work (the $3,800 in denied claims), it turns out it was sent to the wrong branch and has since been resubmitted and is currently in review for coverage- YARHOO. I know that isn't a guarantee that everything will be covered, but it's a step in the fucking right direction.
So do I feel bad now about calling them miserable bastards?
No. Fuck, no. Not one bit, because they deny shit that should be covered for people in much worse situations than me on a regular basis and for that I hope their descent to hell is a slow and painful one.
Just to clarify.
So who's ready for the weekend?!
12 comments:
Can I just say I really *love* the way you write??
And thank you for link to the book discussing oPCOS, I'm just starting to get used to the idea that this MIGHT be the nasty beastie responsible for my current woes.
And yeah, I think I'll have to be dealing with the same insurance demons myself so whatever you said, and triple it.
I'm ready for the weekend! Me! Me! (Mostly because i get to see YOU!)
This was a very eloquent post, Ms. Melissa. And one I totally jived with. I think you and I could make some extra cash on the side by teaching procrastination/inclination.
And yahoo for Point Melissa and Brian! This scenario is shockingly similar to mine when I dealt with Ye Olde insurance company for our first IVF (i.e. they initially DENIED, sending me into a spiral of despair....and then later decided to pony up at least a portion of our expenses).
Tonight, I shop for ingredients for the Giant Cupcake. =)
Nice work on fighting the insurance and WINNING!!! Huge! I swear, getting insurance to pay for IVF and actually doing IVF is like a part-time job. I think I've spent many many hours on this in the last month. Let me tell you, once you start the IVF, you're SO proud of yourself for getting everything done - so go for it!
I read your post on my iPhone at work and (despite my imense desire to come home and take a nap) I had to log on tonight just to tell you how much I love you! You are Da Bomb!
So glad to hear that the insurance bastards are reconsidering the initial rejection of claims. Hopefully they will cover the majority of them and you won't have to figure where to find that money! Woo Hoo!
You have some incredibly good insurance mojo working there, girl! Good for you! You just reminded me that I better sort through that huge pile of mail I have been ignoring.
BTW, The TB is not a big deal. I had more of a reaction from the bandaid they used than from the shot.
Me! Me! I'm ready for the weekend! hooray for small victories with insurance companies :)
I am READY! We're actually going to get some sunshine after the last few dreary days.
I hate dealing with the insurance companies. There is so much red tape, but it seems to have worked in your favor this time! Whoo hoo.
I'm so sorry for all the insurance crap. It can be so maddening!! Early on, I had some of my *most frustrating*, hair pulling, rivers of angry tears moments dealing with crappy insurance. I am feeling ya, sista. :(
I have seriously been thinking of heading to Washington DC with RESOLVE next year to plead the case for the necessity of IF coverage. (Lol, can you see me with my picket sign??)
This weekend means seeing YOU...and I am super excited for that!
You should be an insurance advocate, great work. Good luck with this next fight. I have never really beem a procrastinator but I am now. Seeing as my mood is just a bit lower with all this IF stuff, it is hard to stay motivated and get stuff done. I am wishing you lots of luck and hope that this next cycle goes off without a hitch.
have a lovely weekend.
Wow, how great is that? I mean like you said, most of the time they reject stuff that really REALLY should be covered too, but at least they are getting some of it right for you. You really deserve a financial break. And that list stressed me out (of all the stuff you have to do). So I can see why you aren't super excited knowing you have to deal with all of it first. I'm a major procrastinator. Always have been. So I understand just not wanting to do it until the last minute but then totally freaking out because you waited that long. it's a vicious cycle.
Sounds like you're ready for the weekend, and so am I!!!! Now, if I could only have a drink.
Here's hoping you screw those insurance bastards hard... they DO deserve it.
I hear you regarding the insurance company nightmares. You definitely have to be your own advocate. No one else will. I'm gearing up for IVF #1 in January also!
Post a Comment