Last cycle I decided that I would use the cheapie OPK's (where you have to pee in a cup) as a fail safe to the CBE digital OPK's that my RE preferred. I have used the cheapies for a long time and felt pretty comfortable with them especially because the test line got progressively darker each test, so I was able to decipher when I would get a positive a day ahead of time. I started with the cheapies on Saturday, and began using the digital in addition, yesterday. This morning both tests were negative, although distinctively darker than yesterday. So as per my regular cycle, I'm thinking that I should get a positive this evening, or tomorrow morning. I really hesitated to use the digital OPK yesterday, they are so darn expensive, and I knew I wouldn't get a positive but I wanted to be a good little infertile and follow the RE's directions. Then I began to realize how silly I was being, beating myself up about wasting money by using the digital tests so early, despite the fact we are spending just under 2k on this cycle and I am pinching my pennies at 24 dollars in digital OPK's which are the deciding factor in scheduling my IUI... Looks like the irrational has showed up in record time. Oh but it gets worse...
So because my tests were dark this morning but still negative, I decide to take a cheapie to work and test again around 10am. So I did. And it's darker than this morning but not quite a positive. So I'm like what if that test was funky and didn't quite fill in? So I go home for lunch. Whip out the CBE digital. POAS. Leave it on the sink, and go heat up some leftovers. Come back a few minutes later to this:
Those little signs indicate an error with the digital portion of the tester. The instructions say that if you get this error you should go buy a new pack and use the unopened applicators with the new tester. Fucker. So I leave the bathroom cursing because I need to go buy more tests when I was already unhappy about using up these ones, only to enter the kitchen to find that my dog has eaten the rest of my lunch and is now halfway through a cube of butter. Fucker! So I put the dog out, curse at him, grab a Club Soda, and head to the store.
I get to the drug store and make my way to the pharmacy where they have the HPT's, lube, and OPK's on a prominent display. Grab the CBE digitals. Head to the pharmacy counter so that I can pay for them there instead waiting in line at the main register area, with all the other yahoo's. The girl at the counter seems mildly put out that I am not in fact picking up a prescription but just need to purchase an overpriced item. So she swipes the box of the counter and tells me that it will be $43.28 please. WHAT?! These fucking tests are DOUBLE what I pay for them on Amazon.com. FUCKER. The girl ringing me up actually speaks pleasantly to me while in my head, I argue with her over the price. I get back to work and wait until I have to pee again. 3:45 ish I head to the ladies room. And there it is. Clear as day, the smiley I 've been waiting for. So I put in a call to my clinic and wait for the IUI nurse to call me back.
At this point a new line of panic sets in, as I wonder if my positive test in the afternoon is going to mess with my timing. My RE's directions were very clear. Test in the morning. Call when you get a positive. I remember distinctly telling my IUI coordinator that I usually get a positive in the afternoon, and she didn't seem to concerned about it. But she IS NOT my RE. So I continue down the path of self sabotage and wonder if my timing is going to be way off. While in the back of my head I tell myself to be positive, and let the doctor determine whether the timing is off or not. UGH.
Anyway, my appointment is at 9:15am tomorrow morning. I will make sure to discuss this scenario with him, just in case there might me a next time, so we can change protocol. So wish me luck kids!!! I can use lots of good thoughts, prayers, juju, crossing of fingers, anything you've got!
If you have an IUI experience you'd like to share, I'd appreciate it!
8 comments:
Good luck tomorrow. I will be sending good vibes your way!
Good luck this morning!!! I'm already thinking about you! I know it will go well. Like I've told you before, the procedure itself is no biggie at all. It's a breeze. Update us soon!
You're doing just fine with timing. Just breathe and relax. Stress is the last thing you need right now.
Thinking happy thoughts for you :-)
I can see now why you were worried last night- there were lots of minor factors that were getting in your way. But they were all minor. It will be fine- you've got time. I think you should do something extra relaxing today to celebrate. I have high hopes for you Melissa! Crossing everything I can- b/c I know the feeling of the first time you've ever really had a shot at it! Good luck good luck good luck!
I just found your blog and can totally relate to this post. I had the same experiment w/ OPK's this cycle. As far as the IUI, I thought it was easier and less painful than a pap smear. It is quick and painless. Good Luck, I hope you get your BFP!!
I hope everything went great for you! I too scream at the price of those damn sticks... but seeing that smiley face is the best thing ever (i'm sure a positive HPT would be better, but I have yet to expierence that!)
:)
I know that I am late responding on this post (I missed it until after your IUI was already complete...)
But, I do want to tell you that I really enjoyed it. It was very typical Melissa. If this cycle works, you can definitely look back at the OPK debacle and have a good laugh...
i did opk's on the first cycle but i was on a drug....never got a pos by day 16 so i had to go in the next day ...anyway
the second one i had to do follistim shots...the first one was good didnt hurt... the next day i was expecting the same thing... nope it hurt like hell...and i felt sick for the rest of the day...
Post a Comment